How to engage with customers to achieve online success
More and more people are turning to social networks to discover and learn more about the brands they are buying or are potentially interested in buying. Having a presence on line is crucial if you want to attract customer’s attention and sell more.
It’s not just about having lots of different content online, the ultimate goal of any online activity is to create engagement. The higher the engagement rate and the more people are enjoying the content they are reading, they will then potentially share it with friends and hopefully your brand will be front of mind when in the buying mode.
So how can this be done?
1. Create a solid piece of content that can be used across many channels e.g. Facebook, twitter, blogs, forums which capitalizes on a central theme e.g. recipe inspiration, new usage occasions, your unique product benefit etc. that is relevant to all customers.
2. Encourage customers to comment or start conversations e.g. ask open ended questions, ask for feedback, suggestions for new product ideas, posting of videos of them consuming your products. This will show that your brand is open to mutual sharing and exchanges and responds to what customers think.
3. Talk to people in a familiar way/on their level. Try and create a profile of your customers beyond their name and addresses. What other sites do they visit? What type of content are they viewing there? Can your brand have a presence here that is connected too?
4. Talk regularly to customers and don’t repeat content. It needs to be new news and relevant.
5. Don’t be afraid to share other brand’s content too if you feel it would be of interest to your customers and fits with your brand values. For example, if you are a local cheese brand your customers may be interested in other local products, local farmers markets or things happening in your local area.
6. Use photos and videos, even humour, can get people to interact with a brand’s content
7. Review which content of yours was read, shared or commented on? Content that has had more interaction is being enjoyed, so they’ll probably enjoy more of the same.
Remember 9 out of 10 people would recommend a brand to a friend after interacting with it on social media platform according to the Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) study 2013.